Astronomy Club of Tulsa Member Privileges
All Members of The Astronomy Club of Tulsa are offered the following:
- ACT monthly newsletter, The Observer.
- Membership to the Astronomical League including their quarterly magazine:
The Reflector. (Optional AL membership is available for students or family members at additional cost)
- Opportunity to work toward and apply for observing certificates through the Astronomical League.
- Discounts on the magazines: Astronomy and/or Sky and Telescope. Contact our Treasurer for pricing and arrangements.
- Voting rights on Election of Board Members, major purchases, or changes to the by-laws.
- Additional Opportunities at the observatory including monthly Members Only Observing Nights.
- Volunteer Opportunities including membership in NASA’s Night Sky Network. To get the full effect of an ACT membership, you will want to volunteer with fellow club members. There are many opportunities, so request to be on the volunteer list for groups or for public observing nights.
- Explore the following links to find out more:
Starting your Second year as a member of ACT
After you have been a member for one year, you will want to renew and receive the following additional opportunities:
- Run for an ACT elected position. Let the current ACT Secretary know you are interested in an elected position.
- Choose to submit a request form to receive a key to the ACT Observatory. Once the request form has been submitted, the ACT Board will include your request at the next Board Meeting.
Customary Events for ACT
|Event||Tentative schedule (Watch for club calendar each January)|
|Monthly Public Meetings – w/guest speaker||Sept through May at Jenks Planetarium|
|Monthly Public Star Party- ACT Obs||Each Month weather permitting|
|Monthly Members only Star Party- ACT Obs||Each Month weather permitting|
|Group Events as scheduled||See Outreach Director|
|Sidewalk Astronomy at Bass Pro||Usually Saturday closes to 2nd Q Moon|
|Members Appreciation Picnic once a year||Scheduled by ACT Board|
|Annual Business Meeting – w/ Elections||October|
|Annual Dinner Meeting||November|
|Occasional Special Events – sometimes for the public||As Astronomy related Phenomena occurs|